...
It's rare, but I'm "at work" this evening. Every once in a while, both Tim and Jim are off, and Austen grabs the morning and I go nightside.
Austen was in the "eye of the storm" this morning as a strong cold front rumbled across the Mid-South bringing rain and the threat of severe weather. High winds did a little damage, heavy rain was our greatest concern.
For me, it's trying to stay up for the 10pm show... I'm usually deep into REM at that hour of the day, but I'm sure I'll make it. The weather is improving quickly, it will be much cooler tomorrow.
The bad weather caused a "Ground Stop" for a couple of hours at Memphis Int'l today. (from about 10am to 12:30pm) Ground stop is when airlines decide it's too dangerous for their employees to go out and get the plane and bring in the passengers. Many flights were diverted to Nashville and Jackson, MS. But Memphis Int'l, being the great airport it is, handled it all in stride and things will be back to normal by the evening.
I spoke today with "Larry Cox," he's the top man at MEM, he told me only once in his 37 years there, had they actually "closed" the airport. That was because of icing, that they couldn't clear quick enough to keep it safe for planes. There was a little slipping and sliding going on that day!
They do a tremendous job there, we're number 8 in the country for "on time" and the busiest airport in the WORLD when it comes to air cargo, (of course a big thanks to FedEx for that)
